Bostonians have always been a little off-the-walls, but we prefer the terms “one-of-a-kind,” “unique,” “special,” “quirky,” or “limited-edition.” And while we’re proud of the rare breed that we are, we can’t help but notice we tend to do things a little differently than the rest of the world. Whether it be banging ueys, or having an iced coffee attached to our hand regardless of the season, time of day, or how late we are for work, these are the things we can expect to witness in Boston, but probably only in Boston:
1. “Everything we do is noahmal, everyone else is wehid”
2. Roadworks and detours outside Logan, pretty much anytime you land at Logan, no matter the day or even time of day, just to ensure we constantly relive the Big Dig days.
3. Iced coffee 24/7/365
4. The Boston block – when you pull halfway out & block traffic (at least according to Dave the drivers Ed guy)🤣
5. Walking across the street, whenever you want to. 🚶♀️🚗 🚶♂️
6. The word “wicked “
7. Obsession with Dunkin
9. Mayo on EVERYTHING.
10. Nowhere outside of New England do people use the term Bulky Roll
11. No use of directional signals
12. Drinking from the bubblah
13. Saving your snow shoveled spot with any large item you can find
14. PB & Fluff sandwiches
15. Baked Beans
16. The T always breaking down
17. The word “Der!!!!!”
18. Rubbish barrel. Especially when they were in the ground. And a cellar.
20. Front steps called a “stoop”
21. Calling a Shopping Cart a Wagon or Carriage. Went to Florida and asked a store employee where to find a Wagon and they said the store doesn’t sell those, so I said no like a Carriage and he was still baffled. Apparently they are called buggies down there 😒🙄
22. Low bridges on Storrow Drive
23. Where’s my pockabook?
24. Driving in any lane you want and sometimes in no lane at all. Blinkah is mystery and people here don’t use it.
25. Never knowing when I will be cold 😂
26. Steak tips
28. Turkeys walking the sidewalks
29. New England hot dog buns
30. Movie theatres in furniture stores
31. Wearing a coat in June and shorts in December
32. 50F weather in JUNE
33. Bell’s seasoning
34. Experiencing 3 seasons in 24 hours
35. Double parking downtown to get your iced coffee at Dunks
36. Pulling your car into one lane and blocking traffic while waiting to turn into the opposite lane
37. Wearing shorts in 40’ weather. 😎🩳
38. Roast beef sandwich shops on every corner 😍
39. Putting a folding chair on the side of the street to hold your parking space.
40. Calling BBQs Cookouts
41. Eating ice cream when it’s -14 degrees outside
42. Scally caps, the name Seamus (my oldest)
43. Dunkins on every block.
44. Walking down newbury st in January with UGZ on and shorts with a winter jacket lol
45. Going to the beach when it’s 52 F
46. Candle pin bowling
47. Sneakers with dresses (cobblestone readiness)
48. Heat & a/c on in the same day
49. Having a swimming pool that can only be used two months of the year but takes up most of the yard all year long!