Back for its 42nd annual celebration, First Night Boston is a fun, free, and family-friendly way to celebrate the new year with your city. The celebration will include hours of live entertainment, including live music, dancing, ice skating shows, and a parade. With dazzling ice sculptures and two firework shows, it’s a super spectacle you don’t want to miss!
The First Night festivities will run from 12 p.m. on Friday, December 31, 2021 through 12:30 a.m. on Saturday, January 1, 2022. Many venues around Boston will be hosting events and entertainment, such as the Boston Public Library, Copley Place, Boston Common, and surrounding churches. Check out the First Night website for more details on the times and locations of events.
First Night Boston typically attracts over 1 million people every year. It’s the oldest New Year’s Eve event of this kind, starting in 1976, and it has inspired dozens of similar events across the U.S as well.
(see firstnightboston.com for the full schedule)
- 1 pm: Emancipation Proclamation Concert at Trinity Church. Hosted by the Handel and Haydn Society and the Museum of African American History, this concert commemorates Boston’s historic role in the abolition movement and the role of music in creating an alliance and belonging.
- 1:30-4:15: Puppet Showplace Theater at the Copley Place Mall. This free puppet show is a great family-friendly activity for your afternoon.
- 3 pm: Organ Concert at Old South Church. This church’s mighty 1921 E. M. Skinner pipe organ boasts a massive surround sound experience, and it’s something you’ll have to hear to believe. Affectionately dubbed the “Copley Philharmonic Organ,” this organ concert will showcase an array of Christmas tunes that’ll be fun for the whole family to enjoy.
- 5:50 – 7 pm: The People’s Procession from Copley Square to Boston Common. Featuring giant puppets, dancers, motor vehicles, and loud music, the People’s Parade heads down Boylston Street towards the Boston common to watch the fireworks at 7pm.
- 7 pm – Fireworks Display at the Boston Common.
- 7:30 – 11:30 pm: Performances at Copley Square. Leading up to midnight, multiple artists will perform lively sets, including R&B singers Alli Haber and Nancia and the high-energy cover bands, The Sultans, Sons of Levin, and Silver Arrow Band.
- Midnight: Fireworks over Boston Harbor & a Pyrotechnic Show in Copley Square. What a way to ring in the new year!
[featured image: firstnightboston.org]