Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont recently made the USA Today Readers’ Choice Awards top ten cross-country ski resorts in America.
A group of travel experts partner with USA Today 10Best editors to pick the initial 20 best ski resorts, and the final 10 winners determined by the popular vote of readers nationwide. Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, just over three hours driving from Boston, landed a sweet spot at number nine on the list! USA Today writes:
The hills are alive with the sound of sliding at this legendary cross-country ski resort in Stowe, Vermont, founded by the family made famous in “The Sound of Music.” The first Nordic center in the U.S. reflects the resort’s Austrian heritage and has 40 miles of groomed cross-country trails, highlighted by routes leading to the Slayton Pasture Cabin, where a warm fire and hot cocoa await.
If you’re wondering why “Trapp Family” sounds so familiar, it’s because that’s the name of the Austrian family, and music group “Trapp Family Singers” that the 1965 hit the Sound of Music is based on. Let that sit. The 2,500-acre resort first opened in 1942 and remains in the Trapp family to this day.
Drawing from the family’s Austrian heritage, Trapp Family Lodge’s slogan is “a little of Austria, a lot of Vermont.” You’ll have access to a true Nordic-style resort in the heart of New England!
Waterville Valley Resort in Waterville Valley, New Hampshire also made the list at number eight!
The top 10 cross-country ski resorts in America according to USA Today:
- Minocqua Winter Park – Minocqua, Wisconsin
- Devil’s Thumb Ranch – Tabernash, Colorado
- ABR Ski Trails – Ironwood, Michigan
- Tahoe Donner Cross Country Ski Center – Truckee, California
- Bear Valley Adventure Co. – Bear Valley, California
- Homestake Lodge – Whitehall, Montana
- Snow Mountain Ranch – Granby, Colorado
- Waterville Valley Resort – Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
- Trapp Family Lodge – Stowe, Vermont
- White Grass Ski Touring Center – Davis, West Virginia
The Trapp Family Lodge makes a lovely winter getaway in the picturesque town of Stowe, Vermont!
Find Trapp Family Lodge at:
700 Trapp Hill Road, Stowe, Vermont 05672
Find Waterville Valley Resort at:
1 Ski Area Rd, Waterville Valley, NH 03215