Looks like trick-or-treating is still on in the city for the time being Bostonians!
Earlier in the week Governor Baker announced he wouldn’t be canceling Halloween at a state level but Boston officials had yet to announce of any plans for the city. But it seems like we’re still on for the scariest night of the year according to Mayor Martin Walsh.
On Thursday, October 8, Walsh announced the city won’t likely cancel Halloween festivities this year. “If we’re going to cancel trick-or-treating, we have to have a real good reason why we’re doing that,” said the Mayor speaking on a WCVB livestreamed question-and-answer segment. “But I think that the fact that it’s outside — we just have to think about what are the precautions.”
Mayor Walsh suggested keeping candy wrap and sick people avoiding giving out candy as possible measures, but he also stated the city hadn’t made any final decisions yet and would be reviewing all possibilities with the help of medical professionals.
He also said he was looking to keep young Bostonians happy, however, and seemed pretty positive about keeping trick-or-treating up this year despite the recent rise in cases Boston has seen. “They’ve had a tough year themselves,” Walsh said.
On Wednesday, October 7, Walsh announced that Boston is now above the seven-day positive test rate average of 4% putting the back-to-school plan on pause. However, the Mayor also clarified the city won’t be going back into lockdown for the moment when asked about the matter on Thursday’s interview.
Walsh said such steps could be “possible” if numbers continue to worsen, “I don’t think we’re close to a lockdown today.”
[Featured image: Unsplash]