Aah, the holiday season… there’s nothing quite like it! Whether you’re more of a grinch or you’re the type of person who turns everything in their lives red and green as soon as December 1 hits, one thing we might all agree on is the fact that holiday lights are kind of amazing. Luckily for us, the New England town of Boothbay, ME, has one of the most spectacular light shows in the whole world, according to Condé Nast Traveler and USA Today.
So even though we might not get the chance to stroll down London’s Regent Street all decked out for the holidays or wander through Copenhagen’s Tivoli Gardens (both also on Condè Nast’s list) at least we know we can drive up to Maine for some extra dazzling lights this season! USA Today acclaims Gardens Aglow as one of the “biggest and brightest lights displays in New England, with more than 650,000 bulbs.”
Gardens Aglow ranked as USA Today’s third best botanical garden holiday lights for 2022:
- A Longwood Christmas at Longwood Gardens – Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
- Dominion Energy GardenFest of Lights – Richmond, Virginia
- Gardens Aglow at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens – Boothbay, Maine
- Nights of a Thousand Candles at Brookgreen Gardens – Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
- Dominion Energy Garden of Lights – Norfolk, Virginia
- Lights in Bloom at Marie Selby Botanical Gardens – Sarasota, Florida
- Garden Glow at Missouri Botanical Garden – St. Louis, Missouri
- Illuminations at Botanica – Wichita, Kansas
- Magic Christmas in Lights at Bellingrath Gardens – Theodore, Alabama
- River of Lights at ABQ BioPark Botanic Garden – Albuquerque, New Mexico
Gardens Aglow at Maine Coastal Botanical Gardens got a beaming review from the publications which defined the light show as “awe-inspiring.” At 14 acres, Gardens Aglow is not your average neighborhood holiday display. The largest one in all of New England, the display features the beautiful Maine flora wrapped in endless strings of colorful lights that make for an astounding winter show. Holiday arrangements also include whimsical light sculptures in all shapes and sizes, including Santa’s sleigh and reindeer.
The Gardenshop, which Condé Nast also highlights for its “one-of-a-kind, locally made gifts and goods” is the perfect destination to get your hands on awesome goodies like honey, soap, candles, apparel, and souvenirs.
Gardens Aglow returns Thursdays through Sundays on November 19 and will remain open until December 31. As if the show couldn’t get any brighter, Gardens Aglow returns this year with an extra 100,000 LEDs, making it 750,000 LEDs bright, or about 65 miles of lights according to the Gardens Aglow FAQ! In addition to the default lighting, you’ll get the opportunity to judge participants in the lighting contest.
Ticket prices range from $8 to $18 depending on membership and group tickets are available for $45 for families of four. The experience is going to be lit(pun intended) as you enjoy a leisure stroll through the one-mile walk in winter wonderland!
Find Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens at 105 Botanical Gardens Drive Boothbay, ME 04537