The famous 760 Boylston Street address will soon have a new owner, as recent announcements revealed DICK’S Sporting Goods is moving into the space of Boston’s former Lord & Taylor. The Lord & Taylor store, which served the area for decades, closed its doors in 2020 after the nearly 200-year-old company filed for bankruptcy. Since then, the enormous and prominently located space has just been vacant.
New reports suggest that DICK’S Sporting Goods plans to open an experiential store tagged its “House of Sport.” Situated across from the Boston Marathon finish line, and at the heart of a sports fanatic city, the sporting goods store locked in a prime location for its athlete’s paradise.
DICK’S “House of Sport” concepts currently have 3 locations including Knoxville, Tennessee, Minnetonka, Minnesota, and Rochester, New York. Boston would be the 4th addition to the family and the first for New England.
What is a DICK’S “House of Sport” store?
Unlike a regular DICK’S Sporting Goods store the “House of Sport” offers a place to “gather and learn.” Each location offers compartmentalized playing fields to test gear, play ball and even schedule sporting events. Different sectors traditionally in a “House of Sport” store include:
- The Field: a baseball and track combo to bat, swing, and run
- The Cage: an indoor HitTrax batting cage
- The Wall: an indoor rock-climbing wall to work on balance and strength
- Golfer’s Paradise: an 8-put lane to test your skills and customize your gear
- Health and Wellness: science-backed snack and nutrition bar to fuel up
- House of Cleats: a turf simulation perfect for trying out everything from football to soccer cleats
DICK’S now has over 700 stores nationwide and first introduced the “House of Sport” concept back in 2021 under the leadership of the new president and CEO, Lauren Hobart. Details on the exact opening date of the Boston’s DICK’S “House of Sport” have yet to be announced.
The new retailer will open at 760 Boylston St. Boston