Harvard Square is one of the most famous Cambridge neighborhoods for an obvious reason, but it’s just as beloved by locals as well. Just minutes from the Charles River and condensed with amazing restaurants, coffee shops, bookstores, and more there are so many ways to spend the “perfect day” in Harvard Square. Below are 5 of our favorite things to do in Harvard Square right now:
1. Attend a fun event like the Arab Conference at Harvard
Harvard University’s prestige means there’s always something spectacular going on near campus grounds. While many of these events are reserved for Harvard students only, a ton of them are open to the public or allow access with ticket entry. This weekend, Harvard will host the Arab Conference at Harvard, a 3-day annual event with special keynotes, panels, discussions, a gala, and more.
2. Grab coffee at the double-decker Tatte in Harvard Square
Tatte never fails, but the unique thing about the Harvard Square Tatte location is the two-story set up. This means the second floor is a prime location for people watching in the square while cozying up to a House Latte with halvah. After make sure to visit the Harvard Square Bookstore which has been a Cambridge landmark since 1932.
3. Take a walking tour of Harvard University
You’ve got to take a tour of Harvard at least once in your lifetime, especially since the campus is so exclusive, the only way to really see it is with an authorized tour. Make sure to also stop by Harvard Law School if you’re a Legally Blonde fan. While it wasn’t filmed on either campus, it still has an Elle Woods aura to it.
4. Stroll on Weeks Bridge and the Charles River Esplanade
The Charles River is not unique to Harvard Square, but you’ll have some of the best views of Boston and Cambridge from the different footbridges in this part of Cambridge. Watch scullers pass underneath the bridge, and in the warmer months have a picnic on the grass among the cherry blossoms!
5. Grab dinner and dessert from one of our favorite Harvard Square restaurants
There are so many yummy places to grab a bite in and around Harvard Square. Our absolute favorite in this area is Oleana-a farm-to-table Mediterranean and Middle Eastern inspired restaurant. While it’s technically not in Harvard Square, it’s nearby and an absolute can’t miss if you’re just visiting.
If you’re spending more time in the area, make sure to try some of these places in and around Harvard Square:
- Black Sheep Bagel Cafe: 2 Brattle Street
- Tatte Bakery and Cafe: 1288 Massachusetts Ave.
- Sofra Bakery and Cafe(Oleana’s sister cafe, short walk from the square):1 Belmont St.
- Pinocchios Pizza & Subs: 74 Winthrop St.
- Clover Food Lab: 1326 Massachusetts Av.
- Bar Enza: 1 Bennett St.
- Waypoint: 1030 Massachusetts Av.
- Milk Bar: 3 Brattle St.