MassReconnect, a new program announced in August 2023 by the administration now offers residents 25 years of age and older the opportunity for a transformative degree, at no cost.
Each of Massachusetts’ 15 community colleges received $100,000 to catalyze implementation of the new program which begins this fall. MassReconnect goes into effect at 15 schools beginning September 2023. The program also makes nursing centers on campus free for all individuals, ensuring parents get the education they deserve as well.
The program funding by the state is $20 million in its first year. This cost includes the funding provided to each of the 15 community colleges, the coverage of the full cost of tuition, fees, and books for incoming students, and financial support for the staff of the various courses.
It will bolster the role of community colleges as economic drivers in our state and help us better meet the needs of businesses to find qualified, well-trained workers. We can also make progress in breaking cycles of intergenerational poverty by helping residents complete their higher education credentials so they can attain good jobs and build a career path. Our administration is grateful for the partnership of the Legislature to move forward on this critical program that will make our state more affordable, competitive and equitable- said Governor Healey.
Who qualifies for MassReconnect?
Eligibility for MassReconnect has a few requirements:
- Must be 25 years or older on the first day of class
- Permanent Massachusetts resident for at least 1 year at the start of enrollment
- Resident must not have prior collegiate degree (associate or bachelor’s)
- Maintain a minimum of 6 credits per semester as a student
What schools accept MassReconnect?
All 15 Massachusetts community colleges offer MassReconnect. The program is expected to help up to 8,000 students in the 2023-2024 school year. This number could grow to 10,000 by 2025. According to a recent press release, the state notes that approximately 700,000 Massachusetts residents have college credit but no degree.
- Massachusetts Bay Community College
- Greenfield Community College
- Roxbury Community College
- North Shore Community College
- Mount Wachusett Community College
- Middlesex Community College – MA
- Springfield Technical Community College
- Berkshire Community College
- Quinsigamond Community College
- Massasoit Community College
- Bunker Hill Community College
- Cape Cod Community College
- Northern Essex Community College
- Holyoke Community College
- Bristol Community College
How to enroll in MassReconnect?
Residents are eligible to enroll in MassReconnect at any time. There is no deadline to sign up. The only requirements to enroll in MassReconnect are:
- Enroll in at least 6 credits
- Complete the FAFSA application
- Begin at the start of your desired program’s first day (dates are scattered throughout the year)