In the last 2 years, Little Amal has trekked through over 250 uniquely created artistic events across the globe! Her initial voyage tallied up to 5,000 miles in 2021, and now in 2023 Little Amal will journey 6,000 miles across America, starting in Boston.
Little Amal’s 9-week 2023 journey commences in Boston on September 7, 2023. Amal’s character originated from a character in Joe Murphy and Joe Robertson’s play The Jungle, a story about a refugee camp in Calais, France. But Little Amal represents the millions of displaced and disenfranchised refugees around the globe, and the goal of her 6,000-mile journey is to open dialogue, make friends and inspire unity across the globe and at the comparatively microscopic community levels.
The story of the United States has been shaped by a complex history of migration and movement that touches every corner of the globe, said The Walk Productions Artistic Director Amir Nizar Zuabi. But the myriad challenges of today’s interconnected world are forcing many to revisit America’s status as the land of opportunity. Our hope for Amal is that she can spur conversations in communities across the country around the important role of refugees and newcomers in writing the ongoing story of the United States.
1,500+ artists across the 35 towns and cities will collaborate with Amal in showcasing a diverse array of artistic events, including a free event to welcome Little Amal’s arrival in Boston with the Theatre District’s ArtsEmerson!
Little Amal will visit some of the nation’s most iconic sites, starting with the Boston Common and Embrace. Amal’s visit in Massachusetts will include 2 days in Boston followed by a trip to Ashfield and North Adams before venturing to Connecticut and other states. Amal will be welcomed by the Mayor, Michelle Wu among others.
On her European tour, Little Amal met notable figures such as Jude Law and Mark Rylance, and last year in New York, met with Mayor Eric Adams and Whoopi Goldberg.
Below is an list of spots around Boston to meet-and-greet Little Amal. For last-minute updates, find more info online.
Amal will begin here Boston journey at Dewey Square and close it with a ceremonial first pitch at Fenway Park. She’ll then continue her journey in Ashfield, MA. More info on precise dates and times are below.
- Thursday, September 7 @ 4 PM: Little Amal arrives in America at Dewey Square
- Thursday, September 7 @ 4:30 PM: Chinatown Gate
- Thursday, September 7 @ 6 PM: Finding Friends in Harvard Yard (1 Oxford St., Cambridge)
- Thursday, September 7 @ 9 PM: Don’t let Amal sleep alone (location TBD)
- Friday, September 8 @ 12 PM: East Boston Public Library (365 Bremen St., Boston)
- Friday, September 8 @ 7 PM: Find a safe haven (location TBD)
- Friday, September 8 @ 8:30 PM: Things my mother whispered (location TBD)
- Saturday, September 9 @ 11 AM: When Migrants Meet at Eagleston Square BPL (Franklin Park)
- Saturday, September 9 @ 1 PM: ICA Watershed
- Saturday, September 9 @ 3:30 PM: Ceremonial first pitch at Fenway Park
Little Amal walks the USA
Amal was designed and built by the Handspring Puppet Company of South Africa, creators of the award-winning puppets for the hit show War Horse. Don’t miss your chance to meet Little Amal in Boston from September 7-9, 2023 and check out the list below for her full journey across America:
- Boston, MA: September 7-9
- Ashfield, MA: September 10
- North Adams, MA: September 10
- Hartford, CT: September 12
- Philadelphia, PA: September 13-14
- Baltimore, MD: September 15-16
- Washington D.C.: September 17-19
- Pittsburgh, PA: September 20-21
- Cincinnati, OH: September 22
- Columbus, OH: September 22
- Akron, OH: September 23
- Detroit and Dearborn, MI: September 24, 26, 27
- Chicago, IL: September 28-30
- St. Louis, MO: October 1
- Memphis, TN: October 4
- Nashville, TN: October 5-6
- Chattanooga, TN: October 7
- Atlanta, GA: October 8, 10
- Birmingham, AL: October 11-12
- Selma, AL: October 13
- Montgomery, AL: October 13
- New Orleans, LA: October 14-15
- Lafayette, LA: October 18
- Houston, TX: October 19
- Austin, TX: October 20
- San Antonio, TX: October 21-22
- Uvalde, TX: October 24
- Marfa, TX: October 24
- El Paso, TX: October 25-26
- Nogales, AZ: October 27
- Tucson, AZ: October 28
- Joshua Tree, CA: October 29
- Los Angeles, CA: October 31 – November 3
- San Diego, CA: November 3-5